Pilrig House, Edinburgh
Pilrig House is a late example of a traditional Scottish Laird’s house, converted from dereliction by Michael Laird Architects into six apartments. It is set in the grounds of Pilrig Park in south Leith, on the edge of Edinburgh’s city centre.
Built in 1638 in an L-shaped plan around a turnpike stair for the Edinburgh goldsmith, Gilbert Kirkwood, the originally plain house was soon embellished with a Greek classical doorway and a curvilinear gable. In 1828, James Balfour extended the house using the well established architect William Burn. The house was gifted to the Corporation of Edinburgh in 1941 with the intention that it became a museum for Leith.