Jenners, Princes St, Edinburgh
Jenners Department Store is an Edinburgh institution, originally dating from 1838. Michael Laird Architects carefully restored the Jenners stonework facade was over a period of two years.
By 1892, the store had expanded to become the largest retail business in Scotland, but late that year a fire destroyed the building. Architect William Hamilton Beattie was commissioned to create a grand new building, which opened in 1895. It was Category A listed by Historic Scotland in 1970. The facade was conceived as an intricate exercise in renaissance architecture using pink sandstone.
This stonework facade was carefully restored over a period of two years from 1995.