Gogarburn House, Edinburgh

Gogarburn House was built in 1811 and extensively modified in the late Victorian period. As an integral part of the headquarters development of the Gogarburn Campus for The Royal Bank of Scotland, it was decided that this group of buildings should be restored for staff use.

In the interwar period, a hospital was built on the estate and Gogarburn House was converted, cellularised and extended to house the nursing staff. It is thought that at this point most internal features were lost. The Coach House and the Stable Block were left to become storage areas and slowly deteriorated. The buildings were listed Category B in 1994; Gogarburn Hospital closed in 1999.

[more]

  • Gogarburn House 02
  • Gogarburn House 04
  • Gogarburn House 03
  • Gogarburn House 01
  • Gogarburn House 05
  • Gogarburn House 06

Back to projects

Gogarburn House was fully restored and refurbished as a staff club with bars, restaurants, games room and meeting facilities; this was used as an opportunity
to remove the later additions to the house. A new leisure facility was built to the rear of the house, linked by a subtle glazed walkway and the walled garden converted for recreational use.

The Coach House and Stable Block were restored and converted into a nursery for pre-school children and the grounds sensitively and appropriately landscaped.

The project was completed in 2005.

[hide]

Gogarburn House 02